On January 21, 1953 twelve farmers from Gyermely - unable to bear the burdens imposed on individual farming that had become more and more difficult - submitted themselves to the political pressure, and formed the Petőfi Co-operative Farm.
The winds of the 1956 revolution and war of independence blew away this initiative and the loose alliance broke up. In 1959, however - yielding to the forced reparcelling - the co-operative farm was reformed, this time with 120 members, and started joint farming on 1,500 cadastral acres and in two ex-manor farms. The members, who signed up, gave up their hopes of individual farming and consciously endeavoured to capitalize on the economic benefits of a major agricultural plant.
The founders brought with themselves their diligence, their love of the land, their expertise and their entrepreneurship.Due to the parcelling of the fields, to motorization, and the introduction of the use of fertilizers and pesticides, the cereal yields were increasing. In order to keep the balance of crops, the farmers started intensive animal breeding and egg production for sale.
In 1970, the party leadership of the country decided to build a pasta factory and started looking for a location. The prestigious co-operative of Gyermely expressed its interest and was given the opportunity. The pasta production started in 1971 in the form of a joint venture with the partnership of two trading companies and a professional investor. At the end of the seventies the efforts lead to good results and after two decades of well thought-out capitalization and efficient management, the company could afford to undertake social welfare expenses as well. It helped employees to build their houses and supported the development of Gyermely and the surrounding villages. In the mid-eighties the co-operative was already operative in four settlements, and exploiting the economic potentials, the joint venture was started to expand the industrial background. A mill was built, to ensure a more consistent supply of raw materials for the pasta factory. In 1989, a flourmill - with a daily capacity of 120 tons - was successfully opened and thus a new branch of operation was introduced.
After the change of the political system, it was of key importance to keep together the common physical and intellectual values. At the time the co-operative was organized into a joint-stock company and its assets were specified. The actual owners became the founders of the company, the people who had always considered themselves as owners and had always acted accordingly. Thus the employees had the opportunity to get shares based on the work they did for the company.
A new crop plant was launched to serve poultry breeding in 1992. Due to certain acquisitions, by the millennium the holding was farming on 9,500 hectares. The mill, rebuilt in 2001 and furnished with Bühler technology, has a daily capacity of 300 tons, and from 2005 on it has been equipped with an automatic bagging machine and a mall unit packing machine.
The five-year development plan of the pasta company was completed in 2002. The integration broadened in 2003, the wheat seed production plant was built, and the business partners all used exclusively Gyermely wheat seed. The main building, containing the pasta company offices, the communal block, the boiler room and the heating centre was opened in 2003. The flour silo and the flour mixer were built in 2004, thus providing an ideal supply of raw materials. The new production hall with an automatic high-bay warehouse and small product packaging line was ready by 2005. The factory was 35 years old in 2006 and “the present it got” was a long pasta product line with 2100 kg/h and a small cut product line with 1200 kg/h capacity, making the pasta factory in Gyermely once again the most modern such facility in the region. The modernization of packaging continued in 2007, the stacking of 5 kg sacks was done by robots, and the forwarding of pallets to the high-bay warehouse became automated. In the same year a call for tender was launched in order to renew the tractor pool, and the winner was the world famous John Deere factory. In 2008, another small cut product line with 1500 kg/h capacity started to operate in the pasta factory. The crop division built a high capacity crop seed drier and storage in Tök. In 2009, the egg breaking plant with the capacity of 45,000 eggs per hour was launched to supply fresh egg liquid for the pasta factory. The poultry farm in Kablás was rebuilt, providing comfortable placement for 200,000 egg-laying hens in two hen-houses. A new crop drier one was built in Gyermely in 2010 to replace the two old ones and the bakery already supplied products to more than 30 shops in Budapest from its expanded plant.